January 24, 2018 to January 25, 2018
8:30 am to 5:00 pm
CMHA Vancouver-Fraser Branch
110-2425 Quebec Street
Mental Health First Aid Seniors
MHFA Seniors is an adaptation of the MHFA Basic course that is intended to increase the capacity of seniors, families (informal caregivers), friends, staff in care settings and communities to promote mental health in seniors, prevent mental illness and suicide wherever possible in seniors and intervene early when problems first emerge.
The course content and resource materials are based on best available evidence and practice guidelines and were developed in consultation with Canadian experts in the field of geriatric psychiatry. The curriculum was developed for the Mental Health Commission of Canada at Trillium Health Partners, a healthcare organizations which priorities seniors’ health and wellness.
- The aims of this course are to teach members of the public how to:
- Recognize the symptoms of mental health problems or crises as they develop in seniors
- Provide the initial help to seniors
- Guide a senior and caregiver towards appropriate professional help
- Provide strategies and resources to support both seniors and their caregivers